About a year ago, my boss sat me and ten other employees down and handed us all a piece of paper. On it, was a madlibs formula that told a story about what life was currently like and what it would eventually be in five years. Everyone in the room took fifteen minutes and filled it out – and then we all went around the room and shared our vision for ourselves.
What I discovered about myself were things I wasn’t even aware were so important to me. I discovered I wanted the following things to be part of every single day moving forward:
- To make sure vegetables are the first thing in my body every morning.
- To sing and dance every day – just because.
- To write – because when I don’t, I feel too full.
- To be around people who make me laugh … hard.
- To be challenged and never succumb to complacency.
Perhaps most importantly, however, was the realization that the insight I gained was a product of just fifteen minutes of focusing. What, I began to imagine, could I learn if I took an hour, a day, or even a week to really think about what I wanted? In that moment, I learned to stop floating with only a vague understanding of where I was heading. In that moment, I understood that I had been somewhat of a passenger rather than the driving factor of how my life was panning out.
Now, that was a year ago and admittedly I haven’t been as diligent in practicing the preach but … the lesson was ingrained enough to inform the important decisions I made throughout 2013. Despite that, what better time than now to pause, review and take my fifteen minutes? Thus, I encourage everyone who reads this to do the same and, if you would be comfortable sharing, I would be honored to read your past achievements and future goals as well!
- High Five’d Moby in Brooklyn
- Fell in love in New Orleans
- Saw a Ghost in Memphis
- Served as a juror for 6 weeks
- Invented 3 new recipes
- Ran a 5k in 36 minutes
- Got promoted
- Chose air over smoke
- Chose the harder path for the greater good
- Lost 25 pounds
- Achieved the Crow Pose
- Ate Alligator and Dog Fish
- Traveled Alone…and met my travel soul mates
- Navigated a Bamboo Raft
- Rode an Elephant
- Learned 6 new recipes
- Found Peace in a Buddhist Temple
- Wished on a shooting Star in the Jungle
- Danced on the beaches of Ko Phi Phi
- Dived with sharks in the Andaman Sea
- Made and implemented a financial plan
- Volunteer at least 3 times
- Spend more time not just with but knowing my family
- Fall crazy into love
- Take 1 risk a day
- Go on a yoga retreat
- Listen more and talk less
- Do at least 3 things that scare me
- Write, Write, Write
- Leave the country again at least once
- Save at least 2 months salary
- Get Scuba Certified
- Achieve a head stand
- Read 3 books that will help me grow
- Dance on the beaches of another foreign sea
- Travel to at least 2 new U.S. states
- Eat 1 thing I have never eaten before
Happy New Years Everyone! I hope 2014 brings you EVERYTHING you want, need and desire.